Grooming Spotlight – Aoibhinn Ruane
We caught up with Aoibhinn at the Kirsty Aird Worker Hunter Clinic in Kilbride Equestrian Centre over the weekend to learn how she prepares her ponies ahead of competition and her big plans for the future.
1. How did you get involved with ponies?
My Mom has been involved with horses all her life, she bought me my first pony when I was three! And I haven’t stopped since!!
2. What do you compete at? Name of ponies competing this year
My passion is showing. This season I will be competing my 143 working hunter pony Clonad Rose, my new 4yr old Greenhall Capri, and also new to the yard is Ballarin Bada Bing my intermediate.
3. What has been the highlight of your career so far?
Definitely winning three supreme championships on Clonad Rose last year as well as getting to compete at the BSPS summer championships in Grantham.
4. Has there been a special pony in your career so far and why?
Definitely Clonad Rose, we bought her as a 6yr old, and we have learned so much together in the last 4 years. She has brought me to so many places I had only dreamed of. She has been my pony of a lifetime and I don’t think I will ever be lucky enough to have another one like her!
5. What is your favourite part of showing?
I love turnout and who doesn’t love to come home with a sash!
6. What products are always in your grooming kit?
Definitely Carr & Day & Martin Dreamcoat and Canter Mane & Tail I could not be without! I also never go anywhere without Carr & Day & Martin Tack Cleaner and Conditioner.
7. Do you have a favourite Carr & Day & Martin product? If yes, we would love to know how it helps on show day preparation/ makes grooming easier/more enjoyable
Has to be Carr & Day & Martin Mane & Tail! I use it daily on all my ponies! It’s so important so that you don’t pull out half their mane and tail every day when you brush them!
8. Do you have a top tip for getting your horse looking their best at competition?
Looking their best comes from inside and outside. I feed RED MILLS to all of the ponies. They all get a hot wash with Carr & Day & Martin Gallop Shampoo the day before a show and are sprayed over with Dreamcoat before they go into the ring.
9. What is your pre and post competition grooming routine?
All the ponies get groomed every day, you can’t just expect to get their coats in top condition the day before a show, daily grooming and maintenance is paramount. The day before a show the ponies get washed in Carr & Day & Martin shampoo and are sprayed down with Dreamcoat! Plenty of rugging to keep them warm and mind their coats. Post competition the ponies always get washed down with Carr & Day & Martin Lavender Liniment wash which is so good for their coats and smells amazing!
10. What are your plans for competing in the future?
Show of the east is coming up shortly and then on to Northern Ireland festival in Cavan. We will be busy then every weekend with shows. All roads will lead to the RDS, and then off to BSPS championships in Grantham. Hopefully over the summer we will get in another trip to the UK and give some Hoys qualifiers a go!
11. If you could give one piece of advice to a young equestrian starting out, what would that be?
Work Hard!! Results don’t come easy! Appreciate the good days when they happen and learn from the not so good days.
Massive thank you to Aoibhinn for sharing some of her top showing tips and grooming routine. Would you like the opportunity to feature in our next Grooming Spotlight? Email Us