Flies are some of the most common insects in the world, and they can be found almost everywhere. Despite their small size they can cause quiet a nuisance for you and your horse this time of year as the weather starts to warm up.
Did You Know?
- Flies survive on a liquid diet, they don’t have chewing mouth parts so can only drink
- Flies eyes provided them with nearly a 360-degree field of view, which allows them to see behind themselves.
- It is only the female horse fly that bites, and can get up to 1 inch in length.
- Horse flies are attracted to movement, and darker coloured horses
- Stable flies can travel up to 20km to find a new host.
- Stable flies belong to the genus Stomoxys, Latin for “Sharp mouth”, fitting as their bites are painful!
- Midges, only the females bite and the males live on plant nectar, causing no bother to horses at all.
- Midges have tiny wings and can’t fly in wind over 7mph
- There are more than 1,000 species of black flies
- Flies taste with their feet , taste receptors are located on lower legs and feet they will land and walk around before they feed.
CDM Fly Product Repellent and Insecticide Ingredients
- DEET – A higher percentage of DEET does not necessarily mean better protection. Instead it identifies how long the protection may last, usually under ideal conditions.
- DEET does not kill, but repels flies. When applied correctly, DEET forms a vapour barrier at the skin surface that deters mosquitoes and biting insects from landing on the skin.
- DEET was originally developed by the U.S. army in 1946 for use by military personnel in insect-infested areas.
Recommended DEET Product – FLYGARD® Extra Strength
- Citriodiol – Naturally sourced active ingredient ,Citriodiol is obtained from the Eucalyptus Citriodora tree. Proven to effectively repel insects.
- Citronella – Citronella oil is one of the essential oils obtained from the leaves and stems of different species of Cymbopogon, commonly known as Lemongrass.
Recommended Citriodiol & Citronella Products – FLYGARD® and Citromax
- Cypermethrin – Cypermethrin works by quickly affecting the insect’s central nervous system, killing insects that eat or come into contact with it.
Recommended Cypermethrin Product – FLYGARD® Protector
To protect your horse from flies, Carr & Day & Martin have a great range of fly repellents and an insecticide that can be used to keep flies away and allow you to enjoy a fly free summer.
Check out our Ultimate Fly Control Range HERE!